A cookie is a very simple text file that gets downloaded onto your computer, tablet or phone when you visit a website. They generally contain two bits of information: a site name and a unique user ID. Once the cookie is on your computer, the site "knows" that you have been there before and can then use that knowledge to tailor the experience that you have.
Cookies are used for many different functions - including essential functionality, such as storing items in a shopping cart and for authentication and security - and non-essential functionality, such as recording how many people are visiting a website, personalising content, targeting advertising and recording user preferences.
For more information on cookies, please click here.
These cookies are strictly necessary for the correct operation of this website:
- JSESSIONID - This cookie is used to maintain "session state" by the Java web application which "powers" this website. This is essential for correct behaviour of this website. Disabling this cookie will make it impossible to register with this website and log on to the site. JSESSIONID is a session cookie and will be deleted when you close your browser.
This website uses the following features which set non-essential cookies:
- __utma, which contains a unique ID to record visits from the same user and expires after two years
- __utmb, to record the start of a session and expires after 30 minutes
- __utmc, a session cookie which only lasts while you view the site
- __utmv, only used if more custom, detailed statistics are required
- __utmz, to record where a visitor came from previously and expires after six months
- Google DoubleClick for Publishers - We use Google DFP (DoubleClick for Publishers) to show banner ads from our sponsors - which will also set cookies on your browser.
- Facebook - if you choose to log on to this site via Facebook, then Facebook will set cookies, which will speed up the login process when subsequently logging in using Facebook.